International Dictionary of Theatre
REF PN2035 .I49 1992 Check MnPALS Catalog for Location and Availability
Over 620 plays with signed articles, descriptions, and lists of translations, editions and criticisms.
Note: emphasis on the last 25 years
Oxford Encyclopedia of Theatre and Performance
REF PN2035 .O94 2003 Check MnPALS Catalog for Location and Availability
The two volume Encyclopedia encompasses opera and film, dance and radio, and para-theatrical, non-dramatic performances including circuses and carnivals--providing coverage from ancient Greek theatre to the latest developments in London, Paris, New York, and around the globe. Numerous biographical entries cover the lives and work of major figures: actors, playwrights, directors, designer, company managers, and critics. (Amazon Editorial Review)
Best of the Web: Theatre (New York Public Library)
New York Public Library links to Historical Overviews and General Resources, Greek Theatre, Medieval & Renaissance, Shakespeare,Restoration & 18th Century, 19th century, 20th Century.
Additional Print Reference Books can be found on 1st floor of the Miller Center Library (call numbers REF PN1600-PN3307).
Search by topic, title of play, name of playwright, etc. A play that you need could be included in a larger book of collected works.
Index to plays published in anthologies. Search by author, play title, or anthology title.
Academic Search Premier (all topics) from EBSCO
Type in "review" as one of your keywords
Choose a citation style (APA, MLA, Chicago/Turabian ...) and follow the guidelines for formatting your paper and references.
Professor, Diversity and Inclusion Librarian
Miller Center BasementBooks on Drama and Theatre have call numbers beginning with PN1600-PN3307
- Search by concepts, taking out common words like effect, affect, good, bad, etc.
- Using AND focuses or limits your search (you get fewer results). Using OR broadens or expands your search (you get more results).
- Use * to search for different word endings (child* searches child, child's, children, children's but also childbirth) and plurals.
- Use quotation marks around phrases.
- Try the Advanced Search. Change the "field" you are search using the pull down menu (for example, search for keywords only in the "Title" of an article).