Provides online access to over 500 reference books (encyclopedias, dictionaries, handbooks, etc.) in all subject areas. This is the premier place to look up a quick fact or to search for background information on a research topic.
Points of View Reference Center
Presents multiple sides on current controversial topics. Each topic may include topical essays, supporting articles, primary source documents, images, and videos.
To find research resources for specific disciplines or courses:
Research Guides (By Subject or Course Number)
Guides for doing research in a particular subject area (Art, Education, Social Work, etc.) or for a specific course.
Academic Search Premier (all topics) from EBSCO
Full-text articles in biology, chemistry, education, engineering, humanities, physics, psychology, religion and theology, sociology, etc. Tip: Click the check box to limit to Academic (Peer Reviewed) Journals.
Communication & Mass Media Complete
Fulltext of 300+ U.S. and international news sources. Includes the New York Times (1999 to present), The Times of London (index and abstract only), the Wall Street Journal (1984 to present), and the StarTribune of Minneapolis (1986 to present).
- Minneapolis Star Tribune: ProQuest Newspapers
Minnesota's biggest newspaper. Search and print full-text articles from 1986 onward.
- St. Cloud Times Index
An index to the St. Cloud Times from 1928 - 2008.
- St. Cloud Times
Search or browse full-text articles from 2002 to present. Articles from the most recent seven days are also available online at www.sctimes.com.
- St. Paul Pioneer Press
Minnesota's second largest newspaper and a major source of news about state government. Search and print full-text articles from 2010 onward.
- University Chronicle (SCSU Campus Newspaper)
Scholarly vs. Popular Periodicals from Vanderbilt University
- When searching the databases for articles, look for the one of these links to access full text:
- If you don't see full text links, click on the Find It! button to view the easiest way to access the article:
- If an online full text option is not available, you will either see information about where the physical item is in the library OR be prompted to Sign in to order the item through Interlibrary Loan.
- Currency: The timeliness of the information.
- Relevance: The importance of the information for your needs.
- Authority: The source of the information.
- Accuracy: The reliability, truthfulness, objectivity, and correctness of the informational content.
- Purpose: The reason the information exists.
Student Study Rooms
Reserve student study rooms for group work, available on the second and third floors of the Library.
Equipment Check Out
VIsit the Circulation Desk to borrow digital cameras, camcorders, projectors, and other equipment.
Place a hold on the books you want using the Library’s Books and More catalog, and Husky Fetch will fetch them for you.
The Write Place offers one-on-one tutoring at any stage in the writing process. Make an online appointment or visit Webster Hall 117 or University Library 135E.
- Effectively integrating source material from the experts with your own ideas and accurately referencing that source material can lend support to the argument in your paper and credibility to your reputation as a maturing professional in your field
- Providing complete references enables readers who are interested in your topic to find out more about your research
- Just as you expect to receive credit for your work, other authors expect and deserve credit for theirs (from LEO: Literacy Education Online)
If you do not cite your sources you are being academically dishonest and guilty of plagiarism, a violation of SCSU's Student Code of Conduct.
Interactive online maps based on the Atlas of Minnesota, 2nd edition. You can browse topics such as agriculture, people, education, housing, and more.
The official website for the state of Minnesota
A lively, richly illustrated magazine published by the Minnesota Historical Society. Topics vary and cover 150+ years of state and regional history. Issues from 1948-present are available in print.
Minnesota Digital Library: Minnesota Reflections
The collection brings you more than 210,000 images, maps and documents from more than 155 of the state's cultural heritage organizations. This site offers resources on Minnesota's history and geography for researchers, educators, students, and the public.